SAW Loan/Grant Funding
SAW – The Stormwater, Asset Management, and Wastewater Program for Michigan communities
SAW is legislation that was created in 2013 to establish grants and low-interest loans for asset management plan development, stormwater plan development, sewage collection and treatment plan development, and state-funded loans to construct projects identified in the asset management plans.
SAW established the program for the planning, design and construction of improvements for the collection and treatment of wastewater and/or stormwater systems. The primary focus of the $is to encourage developing asset management programs that outline cost-effective improvements, operation and maintenance measures.
We can help our clients secure grants!
C2AE has demonstrated a 100% success rate on the similar, but sunsetting, S2 Grant Program, successfully obtaining $2.3 million in grant funding for our projects. In the first round of funding, C2AE submitted more than 30 SAW applications for our clients to the MDEQ. Depending on the total dollar value of the initial round of applications, additional funding may be available in the future.
C2AE Director, Larry Fox, PE,served as one of only three industry representatives from consulting engineering services appointed to the SAW Workgroup that assisted in formulating the program requirements.
Possible uses of the SAW Grant/Loan Program
90% Funded for the first $1 million — 10% match
75% Funded for the second $1 million — 25% match
Sanitary and Stormwater Asset Management Program Development, including:
- Asset inventories, including GPS surveys and GIS mapping of collection systems
- Asset condition assessments, including sanitary sewer and manhole assessments (including televising) and WWTP condition assessments
- Associated hardware/software/training
- User Charge system development
- Planning documents
- Design of improvements
- Construction ($500,000); disadvantaged communities only
- Demonstration, testing, building innovative technologies
- System Master Plan
- Design of Improvements
- Construction ($500,000); disadvantaged only
- Demonstrating, testing, building innovative technologies
Carry below market level interest rates, the same as the SRF program, which for FY 2014 will be 2.5%.
Construction of Improvements identified in a completed Asset Management Plan or other planning document as yet to be identified.
Construction of Improvements identified in a completed Asset Management Plan, Stormwater Management Plan or other planning document as yet to be identified.
Applications will be on a first come/first served basis.
- Applicants staff time can be funded to collect and input data
- Hardware, software and training are eligible expenses, within limit
- “Significant progress” for sanitary sewer and wastewater system may require implementation of rate adjustments required to adequately fund the asset management plan
- Repayment may be required if the result is not implemented
- Three years to complete
- Grants at 100%
- Implementation grant up to $500,000 with $2 million total cap
OTHER PLANNING DOCUMENTS
- Improvements identified must be implemented (in part)
- Stormwater Plan is an exception, where a completed Asset Management Plan or Stormwater Treatment Plan is considered the end product and satisfies the grant requirements
- Grant and Loan Application forms and DWRF Guidance are available on the MDEQ website